Monday, September 15, 2008

Am I meant to say something smart here?

I can not.

I figured almost everyone was in trouble - but in my wildest dreams it never went in this order:

New Century,
Dozens of other subprimes but without Novastar actually filing bankruptcy
Bear Stearns
Indy Mac
Fannie and Freddie
Lehman
AIG


I have shorted most the stocks on this list - but managed not to pick the order of insolvency and have been short none of them recently. AIG was not a conceiveable bankruptcy in my mind. Sure I knew about the fake accounting with finite insurance and the mortgage insurer. I even knew they owned $20 billion in "super-senior" so they were clearly stupid. But I never knew enough. The stock was always too expensive - and as I found out more it stayed too expensive...

There are plenty of people speculating as to what all this means. I will leave that to them. I want to stick to stuff I do understand. There is still a little of that around...


J

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

John,

Swedish banks hit by Lehman bankruptcy
http://www.thelocal.se/14352/20080915/

Swedbank down -7,7 %

General disclaimer

The content contained in this blog represents the opinions of Mr. Hempton. You should assume Mr. Hempton and his affiliates have positions in the securities discussed in this blog, and such beneficial ownership can create a conflict of interest regarding the objectivity of this blog. Statements in the blog are not guarantees of future performance and are subject to certain risks, uncertainties and other factors. Certain information in this blog concerning economic trends and performance is based on or derived from information provided by third-party sources. Mr. Hempton does not guarantee the accuracy of such information and has not independently verified the accuracy or completeness of such information or the assumptions on which such information is based. Such information may change after it is posted and Mr. Hempton is not obligated to, and may not, update it. The commentary in this blog in no way constitutes a solicitation of business, an offer of a security or a solicitation to purchase a security, or investment advice. In fact, it should not be relied upon in making investment decisions, ever. It is intended solely for the entertainment of the reader, and the author. In particular this blog is not directed for investment purposes at US Persons.